Fascinating post!! Recognise some of the points made despite never being sectioned. When will mental health be treated equally to physical health.
Originally posted on Sectioned:
Since starting to have mental health problems and then being sectioned, I’ve learned about things I never imagined existed or would need to know about.
- I’ve learned that being taken to hospital by police counts as an arrest that could show up on checks done for prospective employers.
- I’ve learned about the Work Capability Assessment, Atos and Employment Support Allowance and that, even if your doctor’s certificate is for mental health, you’ll still be asked to touch your toes.
- I’ve learned that mental health problems are often treated with purely physical means, and that merely keeping someone alive is seen as success enough.
- I’ve learned that getting treatment for mental health problems can be a test of endurance: nearly three years post-discharge, I’m still waiting for talking therapy.
- I’ve learned that, even though mental health services are already badly under-funded, they are being cut more than physical health services.
- I’ve learned…
View original 390 more words